Saturday, August 20, 2011

Nutritional project

The nutrition project

Lately, our class has been working on the "nutrients project." 



The project started by our science teacher substituting as a professor in 'meal analyzing' company. She assigned us as 'nutritionist' groups so we can cooperate and successfully analyze the meals that our 'professor' gave us to analyze. Our group members of meals on wheels were: Gui, Filipe, Marina, and me. Winning the 'rock paper scissor' match, Filipe became our team leader. According to the instructions, our group started by choosing a group leader. 
Our group leader Felipe, then gave each of us our roles to cover. Moreover, we all had our parts of nutrients to research. Once we were done with the research, we had to analyze the menu, and decide whether it's appropriate or not. 
'OUR GOAL 'was to analyze the 3 menus and find which one was good for long-term or short-term. 
Among three menus, first one was claimed to be good for short-term diet. Sources of Fibers such as toast, vegetables, and potatoes are mentioned, however, it lacks proper amount of fat, and protein. 
Menu 2) we came up with a statement that menu 2 included the most balanced diet. With the balanced combination of chicken, toast, fish, almonds, etc... it provides variety sources of fats, protein, carbs, fiber and vitamin/minerals. Menu3) Among all, this menu had unusual extreme sources of fats. This menu was just too much. It overall contained too much calories which would definitely lead you to be fat. Therefore, our team presented that this menu is an improper diet. 

WHAT I LEARNED: 
My job area of research was Carbohydrates. Moreover, as I researched, I found a important piece of information that  fiber is one of the complex carbs, that  have important role on diet. Furthermore, Fiber is consisted with two types, Soluble and Insoluble. Soluble fibers can be found in oatmeals, and insoluble fibers can be found in wheat, vegetable etc... Soluble fibers dissolve in water, in contrast, insoluble fibers only dissolve in fat. Insoluble fibers are essential in preventing constipation. 

Here is the ppt that our group made: 
Showing our analyzed file. TOP SECRET (Click)


Self evaluation: I would like to give myself a 5. 
I didn't give myself a 4 because I accomplished more than basic by discussing, researching, and improving. I discussed about how we are going to present. I researched my area of nutrient, however, I went further and found essential material that also aids important role in dieting. 
However, I didn't give 6 to myself because to be honest, I played around with the computer. Moreover, I took responsibility of my work and spent extra time working at home. 

Among the areas of Leadership, organizational, time management, and teamwork, teamwork was the hardest. As we all had different opinions, one had to persuade others in order to make things in action. 

I don't think Time management, didn't work out well for me. To be honest with myself, I had desire within myself that made me, myself to be off-task. 
In contrast, leadership and organizational areas worked out well with the role division and Felipe's lead. Marina also had a big role in organizational area by trying to draw connections with nutrients and its effects. 



No comments:

Post a Comment